Thursday, February 16, 2012

Evening Lights

My favorite time of day is when it starts getting dark, and when it is dark. There's just something about the darkness that brings wonder, calmness, and amazement to me.  Things that make the night and darkness even better are lights, well hints of light.  Such as stars, moonlight, candles, or floating lanterns...


These pictures don't even begin to describe the stunning views I a few weekends ago at the Pingxi Lantern Festival.  It's tradition to write your wishes on a lantern, and send them floating to the heavens.  Thousands of lanterns were seen floating heavenward. 


Our lantern
President Ma sent off Taiwan's wish with a 20 meter lantern followed by about 100 smaller lanterns.


I was also able to see lanterns in Lukang.  These lanterns were not floating in the sky, they were grounded.  Since it is the year of the dragon the main lantern was of course, a dragon. 





We also saw many, many other lanterns displayed along the streets.








Whooo! A giraffe!!


Of course there were a few Angry Bird lanterns.  
All these lanterns and festivities that happen in Taiwan I'm really going to miss when I go back.  There's just so many exciting things to do and see!

4 comments:

  1. How awesome! I think I would have loved that celebration. The lanterns are so pretty and bright. I love the figure lanterns. They even had a giraffe one for you!
    I love you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a lantern festival! Love all your pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! When I first saw the title of your post, I immediately thought of the Disney movie Tangled! Your photos are great and the lanterns are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kendra ! I stumbled upon your blog, and I'm so excited !! Sounds like you are having a great time. Take care .

    ReplyDelete