Saturday, March 10, 2012

Can I please just live in Kenting?

A four day weekend is always wonderful,  but travelling to Kenting will definitely make that weekend even greater.  Tuesday Feb. 28 was Peace Day so I had Monday and Tuesday off from teaching.  I don't know how Peace day should be celebrated, but I enjoyed how I spent the holiday time off.
The secretaries at my school organized an unofficial school trip to Kenting.  All of the English teachers and many of the secretaries and some family members attended.  We spent a lot of time traveling on the bus we rented for the trip.  When I am traveling, I prefer to sleep the majority of the driving, but for others we had a lot of karaoke, in Chinese and English.

Our first sight seeing stop on Sunday was in Tainan.  We climbed up this huge pile of salt.
 The main excitement, well for me at least, was an earthquake! My first earthquake experience ever. Kaylee, Ashton, and I were waiting next to a big rock to get our picture taken.  Before feeling the quake I saw things move a little and then I felt it jerk.  There was a lot of screaming and people scrambling away from the nearby building.  I thought it was pretty exciting and wanted to feel it again, but it was only felt that once.

We had a few more sight seeing stops that day.

This and other six inch tall statues were found in a small cave next to a temple.  The round thing above one of the figures heads isn't a halo, it's money. There were money scattered on all of them. 
Natural fire! Well, natural gas seeping from the ground and creating fire. 
After arriving at the hotel six of us girls went for a quick swim in the hotel pool.  It was kinda cold, we stayed maybe twenty minutes before we headed out to the night market. I love Kenting's night market.  I didn't take any photos of it this trip, maybe because I was so enthralled with everything around me. Much of my money goes to these night markets I visit here in Taiwan. Darn, night markets, but I find so many cool, exciting and tasty things!

Monday was filled with more sight seeing.
Gabriel was my buddy for our "hike" through a park.  Isn't he adorable?


I could say nothing about this photo and have you believe I'm really good at sneaking up on butterflies, but this poor thing was injured and couldn't fly. 




And the trip wouldn't be complete without visiting Kenting's beautiful beaches.


Amy and I.  Amy is the awesome secretary that helps with morning kindergarten.  I love her!
 

Eluanbi Lighthouse.


On our way to this next spot I swear we were told we were going to see some long grass.  Well, this was not what I expected from that description, although there may have been a little bit of long grass to walk through to see this.

Isn't Heather real cool? I think so. 

This was the windiest spot I have ever been too.  It honestly was blowing me off my feet.  
On Tuesday we left Kenting after breakfast.  On the way home we we stopped on Cijin Island, near Kaohsiung, for lunch, and a little bit more exploring.






All the Berhan English teachers, minus myself. 

and one with me. 
Thanks to our secretaries we were able to see some pretty neat things and make some awesome memories.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous. I feel like I never got the "Go with the Secretaries" trip experience. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete