Since the first few days of being here in Taiwan I've wanted to buy this fruit. Supposedly it "Smells like Hell and Tastes like Heaven". To me, it was a huge spiky green fruit that I really wanted to try. I'd heard many differing opinions on the actual taste of the durian, most saying that it actually tastes as bad as it smells, but everyone seemed to be in agreement about the smell. I wanted to try it and make my own opinion, it only took me about 3 months to get around to it though.
The guy at the fruit stand used a machete to cut it before I took it home. The fruit looked absolutely disgusting. I thought it looked like a chicken breast. And as for its smell? Honestly I could hardly smell it, and I didn't think it smelled bad. The other girls didn't agree with me, they thought it was horrible. The taste? Was it really like heaven? Kaylee's description of the taste was "an onion cooked with some kind of fruit". I don't agree that it tastes like heaven, but I didn't think it tasted too bad. Its texture was really weird though. It was like pudding basically. I put most of it in the freezer because I was told it tastes better that way, but I have yet to try it again.
Another foul smelling, yet supposedly tasty food here in Taiwan is Stinky Tofu. It just sounds disgusting doesn't it? It doesn't look too bad though.
At any night market you visit you are bound to find the smell of Stinky Tofu lingering around. It smells gross, but not too terrible, at least to me, some of my friends would be quick to disagree and say that it is very terrible. Maybe I just don't have as much of an acute sense of smell as I always thought I did.
| A little unsure if we really want to try it. |
How did this one taste? Well, it really wasn't too bad. I didn't necessarily like it, but I didn't dash to the bathroom to spit it out either. I tried a few bites, it was mostly the texture I didn't like.
Photo credits to Kaylee Sowards. I accidentally deleted mine from the durian... and didn't have my camera with me for the stinky tofu. I also have videos of both, but I figured you'd all be bored with them. I on the other hand find them quite entertaining.
You are a brave girl.
ReplyDeleteYou are braver than me! I am not one to try new foods, especially if they are stinky or look funny!
ReplyDelete