Thursday, June 30, 2011

I'm here!!

After waiting in the SLC airport for almost 5 hours  on Monday I was finally able to board the plane and begin my adventure to Taiwan.  (I've just about decided that I have terrible luck when it comes to flying, at least 75% of my flights have always been delayed or had some problem).  I was able to meet up with 5 of the other girls also coming here to teach while waiting at the gate- Jessica, Rachel, Kylie, Heather, and Christina.  We flew to LA , found our way  to the international terminal and met up with Kaylee (My friend who told me about ILP and teaching in Taiwan).  When we arrived at the terminal for our flight to Taipei we definitely became the minorities. On the airplane I sat by a mother and her daughter.  On the plane I started to freak out a little because I know practically no Chinese and kept thinking in either English or Spanish knowing neither of those languages are going to be spoken very much, if at all, by the people in Taiwan.  After we were served a small meal and the lights were turned out the mother laid down on the floor and the daughter spread out on their two seats.  I was a little weirded out at first and was scared I was going to step on the woman's head or something.  The flight was long, very long.  I just about couldn't handle it by the end of the 14 hours. 
Once landing in Taipei we were joined by two more girls (Sara and Veronica) passed through immigration, picked up our luggage, found the few bags that were lost, exchanged some money, and found our bus to Feng Yuan.  Frances and Gerald, the owners of the school, picked us up in Feng Yuan and drove us the rest of the way to Berhan Language Institute, where I will be teaching and living.  The rest of the day Gerald had one main goal in mind, keep us awake until 9 PM.  We had a tour of the school, around Feng Yuan, ate some food, and I honestly don't remember much else, it's kinda a blur. 


Today was much better than yesterday after having a good nights sleep behind me.  We had a some more touring around the city, ate some good food, got our bikes, went grocery shopping, and had a couple meetings.  The drivers here are kinda crazy.  We were told to expect people not to follow the traffic laws.  There are scooters everywhere which I think is pretty awesome and makes me want to get one, but I'd be a bit scared to drive it around.  We rode our bikes to the grocery store and I got some random items that I hope will be good, and some frosted flakes and pb&j to be on the safe side. 



 Well, I guess that's just about it for now.  Goodnight Taiwan!

3 comments:

  1. You do always seem to have those "kimber adventures" Glad you made it safe! Can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! Glad you got some rest. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you made it! I love your pictures and am excited to hear more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete