Friday, June 8, 2012

The Only White People on the Island


Xiao Liuqiu!! If you come to Taiwan and you only travel to a few different places then make sure Xiao Liuqiu is at least one of them.  Taiwan is a very busy little country and it can be a bit difficult sometimes to find some quiet, fresh air, and a more relaxed environment, but it was found in Xiao Liuqiu.
On a Friday morning in the middle of May Heather and I left Fengyuan terribly early, 5:30, and after a train, taxi, and ferry found ourselves on the small island around or after 11. We "made" some friends, or should I say a ferry guy introduced us to some people who were about our same age and basically told us to be friends and follow them around. This isn't the first time this has happened.  At the port a guy rented a scooter to us and showed us to our where we'd be camping.
They made us set up our tent right next to some picnic tables to keep us out of the coming rain.  It would have been fine except for when we wanted to go to bed there were people barbecuing and talking next to our tent, but oh well, I was grateful for music and headphones.

Sometimes I have no idea what the signs are trying to say. 


It didn't take us long to drive our scooter around the whole island.  We decided that we were most likely the only white people on the island.  Our first stop turned out to be our favorite spot on the island, Geban Bay.
I called these ghost crabs because you could hardly see them running around on the sand. 

Little and big hermit crabs were also crawling around the beach.  I really wanted to take one home. 


We even caught starfish!




a cute baby one!!
 So I kind of forgot about this blog post and our internet had been in and out so obviously I wasn't working on this. Well from here on out this post will mainly be a picture slideshow thing.  These next photos were taken when it wasn't pouring rain. We kinda got rained out, but it was still a great trip that I'd do over again.


There are more than 80 temples on this small island. When Heather and I learned that we were quite surprised but then  realized how many we'd seen and it kind of made sense.

Classic 7-11 lunch

Look how clear the water was! I was so amazed. 


The lighthouse. The only time I could ever see it was when we were standing next to it.  I even tried to look for it from different points on the island.



Instead of ice cream trucks, how about an ice cream scooter. Perfect.


This was as close to a sunset as we got. There were too many clouds.

The iconic Vase Rock. 

All sorts of cool tide pool finds.


Crabs were everywhere. Big, small, inbetween. On the road, on the beach, by our tent...



I love these girls. Love, love, love them. 

Coming soon... Birthday and Mission Call!! We'll see how soon they really happen...

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I went there with my dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful adventures you are having and memories you are making !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you have got to see and do so many wonderful things. You take great pics. I love them.

    ReplyDelete