Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Kenting!

I love vacations. I love friends. I love scooters. I love the sun. I love the beach. I love food.  I love Kenting!!

We had Monday off for the Moon Festival so we headed off to Kenting as soon as we could! I had been looking forward to this vacation for so long and it came at a much needed time.  It was an amazing trip and I'll share a bit of it with you. 

Kaylee and I ran to catch our train to Kaohsiung around 12pm on Saturday, met up with the rest of the girls after almost a 3 hour train ride, then we all took a bus arriving in Kenting around 7pm.  We actually rode the bus a bit too far.  After we got off the bus one Taiwanese person after another stopped and tried to help us get where we needed to be.  That just added to the many examples of how friendly the people here are.  John, the owner of the hostel where we were staying came and picked us up in his truck.  The majority of us rode in the back for the drive back to the hostel.  It was nice riding back there with the warm air blowing around me, enjoying the evening darkness, and the excitement of the weekend ahead.
Upon arriving at the hostel we got settled and waited, somewhat patiently, while Sara and Terri borrowed a scooter to buy some food. We ate up on the roof and spent quite awhile up there talking.  John (the owner of the hostel) is Canadian and teaches Scuba lessons in Kenting.  Interesting fact about John, he told us he took his shirt off in January and won't wear one again until mid-November.  I guess that just tells you how amazing the weather is in southern Taiwan. 
After breakfast and a spiritual thought the next morning we hopped on our scooters and headed to the beach!  Sara and I were scooter buddies.  They are the best way to get around in Taiwan.  Baisha beach is apparently the best beach in Taiwan, so of course we spent a lot of time there.  It was the perfect day to spend on the beach. Enjoying the sun, taking photos, and wading in the water was just fabulous. 
We rented an umbrella and a few chairs for a few kuài and were set for the day doing whatever we pleased while on the beach, such as:


Taking photos,

reading,


tanning, 

and eating. 

 A few of us also enjoyed some delicious peach smoothies from the bar.


















 
 That evening we viewed a beautiful sunset from a mountain. There were a bajillion people, and bugs, to enjoy the moment. I took a few pictures.  Okay, that's very much an understatement, I took quite a lot actually...


Just a few of the many people






As soon as the sun was down the crowds quickly dissipated.  I was fine with that, but they all missed possibly the best part of the sunset.











Number two priority for my Kenting trip was the night market! I was not disappointed.  I spent a bunch of money, but thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Once again there were people everywhere.  I was completely preoccupied with everything to see around me and took very, very few photos. 

My dinner...

Pizza in a cone!

This ice cream was divine.

The only picture I took of the cool colorful buildings.

After a late night we all ended up sleeping in a bit on Monday morning.  We decided to spend most of our time back on Baisha beach before we headed home.  This day I snorkeled for a bit and loved it! I had no idea there were fish swimming around me! And so many different kinds! I really wish I would have had an underwater camera.  I especially wanted to bring one of the fishes home.  Veronica and I were swimming a little closer to the shore after some snorkeling when I saw a little fish about an inch long swimming around her.  He was so cute and had black and yellow stripes so of course we called him Bumblebee.  He hung around us for quite a while.  Spending quite some time with Nica and then with me.  It was a bit unnerving at first.  He was so little and I was so scared I was going to squish him!  It was cool after awhile though and his presence was quite exciting. 
Here are a few more beach pictures.
I bought this dress at the night market, and yes I'm picking up on holding a peace sign in most of my pics.

It was a wonderful trip and sadly it had to come to an end.  We drove our scooters back to the rental place, got a bit of food and caught a bus to Kaohsiung.  I slept just about the entire ride.  
In Kaohsiung we grabbed a bite to eat before getting on the train back to Feng Yuan.  We spied a Subway and agreed to eat there.  I almost felt like I was back in America.  It was kind of nice just hanging out for a while, eating familiar food, hearing English on the radio, and laughing with friends while sitting in a legit Subway restaurant.  I of course ordered the only thing I think I've ever ordered at Subway, an Italian BMT.  I was also excited because I would finally get some ranch dressing too! but, as I reached the end of the line and looked at the dressings I was greatly disappointed, no ranch.  I was very sad, but my sandwich was still good with the sweet honey and southwest chipotle.  Sorry for the bit of a tangent on the ranch dressing, but if you can't tell I really miss my ranch.


Our tickets for the train ride back home were standing room only, but it wasn't as bad as we'd thought it would be.  Heather, Christina, Sara, Jessica and I filled our time with stories and music.

It was a bit tough coming back to classes, I really miss the beach, but I also enjoy being back with my students. 


4 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks like you had an amazing trip! I love your photos of the sunset! I'm so glad you are having fun in Taiwan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Pics they are spectacular! Glad you got away and enjoyed the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks beautiful and extremely fun there. Love the SUNSET!!! What camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this. Love Kenting. Love you. Can we just go live there? haha.

    ReplyDelete